Friday, February 5, 2016

My DIY Sunburst Mirror



I have always wanted a sunburst mirror.  I would look in the magazines and on the different blogs and there was a large variety.  Since I love DIY I decided I could make one. I saw some good ones on the blogs:











I


These were all great and they all have great tutorials but I still didn't see what I was looking for.   So time passed and still no sunburst mirror for me.  I was going to give up, I was beginning to think that sunburst mirrors were a thing of the past, so 2014.  I have been seeing them now for a couple of years but then I don't really follow trends, I go with what I like. So I didn't give up on my quest, I just put it on the back burner, as I have with so many unfinished projects.  

Then one day I was in a thrift store and really didn't see anything I liked, I was about to leave empty handed when I spotted something just thrown up on a shelf underneath a lot of junk.



A vintage sunburst clock.  I didn't just see a broken old clock, I saw my Sunburst Mirror.  You can see the price $4.74, I thought "score".   

I removed the clock even though it was vintage.  I didn't want or need a clock and besides I thought the clock was very small and would be hard to see, but I loved the style and shape.



I decided to pain it silver, metallic silver.  



As soon as I painted it, I realized I hated the silver color and the mirror was too small.   That's what I get for trying to be super cheap, I mean thrifty.  I had used a mirror I had on hand from another project, instead of buying one that would be a better fit.  I found that I liked the original color better, the brassy gold.  So, I went and got some gold spray paint and a larger mirror.  




Here is the sunburst mirror that inspired me it's from Ethan Allen, it was $239.00 Here.  Which is way more than I wanted to spend. 



This is my DIY Sunburst Mirror after: 





The total cost for the mirror was $12.12.   I spent $4.74 for the clock, $3.50 for the mirror, and $3.88 for the spray paint.   I love how it came it.  I don't know if the sunburst mirrors are passe or not,  but I love it and I think it looks great in my living room.   I may be bias but I actually like my DIY Sunburst mirror better than the one from Ethan Allen.  

No comments: