Wednesday, February 17, 2016

DINING ROOM TABLE MAKEOVER




We were in need of a dining room table.  I had been searching for a table I liked and not having much luck.  I saw some really nice tables at Restoration Hardware, but they cost too much, I refused to pay over $2,000.00 for a dining room table. Call me cheap,  (I actually am)  so I guess you can call me that.  

I began looking at Consignment and Thrift Stores and I still wasn't able to find anything I liked in my price range. Then one day I was leaving a thrift store and I saw a table leaning up against the wall outside of the store.



As you can see the table was stained with paint.  It looked like it might have been used as a craft table.  When I saw it, I knew it was the one for me paint stains and all.  I asked how much for the table and they asked me how much I wanted to pay. I said $20.00, and he said "sold".  

I was happy with my $20.00 find and knew I could pretty her up.  

At first I thought I would paint it because of all the paint stains on the top.



As you can see the stains were bad and some of them seemed like they had bled through the wood.  






So I set the table up in my garage while I took a little time (maybe more than a little) to decide what to do with my horribly stained table.

I finally decided to strip off the finish, which didn't take too long to do. Most of the paint came off but there were a few places where it was deep in the wood grain.  

So I sanded, and sanded, and sanded some more until a got a smooth finish.  It took a lot of time and patience but it paid off in the end.

Next I had to decide what type of finish to use on the table top.  At first I was going to stain it a walnut color, but I liked the color of the natural wood so I decided to leave the natural finish and just wax the top.  


I used SC Johnson Paste Wax. It took four coats and lots of buffing inbetween each coat.




I liked the way natural wood finish of the top looks with the wax.  Next, I decided to paint the bottom of the table and the table legs.  I wanted white, but not bright white so I went with Paper White by Sherwin Williams.  

I now love my $20.00 table.



I am glad I didn't give up on my search for a dining room table. I'm also glad I didn't spend a lot of money but got a table I love.  

In an upcoming post I will tell you all about how I made over the china cabinet and chairs.   

No comments: