Thursday, March 10, 2016

PAINTING INTERIOR DOORS WHITE






We have a narrow hallway upstairs and all the doors are very dark stained wood.   It made the hallway seem dark, narrow and depressing.  


You can see how narrow the hall is.

I initially painted the hallway using Valspar paint in a satin finish, the color is called Ghost Ship.  The picture makes it look like a light blue but it is actually a pale blue with gray tones.  I thought the light color would open up the hallway, it didn't the hall was still way too dark and gloomy.

So I decided to paint the doors white but I had some misgivings about painting over the wood, but I knew I wanted a brighter hallway and the only way to do that was to paint the wood doors.

As you know there are a million different shades of white, so after looking at what seemed like a 100 different types of white and comparing them in different light, I ended up using Lowe's Valspar paint in white, (just plain old white) in a semi-gloss finish, which worked out great since I already had a can of that paint in the garage. 

As with any painting project, first we had to prep the doors. We sanded the doors, sanding in such an enclosed space was not fun.  (I really hate sanding, but there is no way to get around it on most jobs.)  I'm happy to say that I didn't have to use a primer on the doors since the Valspar paint is paint and primer in one.  I also didn't remove the doors to paint them. 






The project only took one day with the help of my kids.

It is amazing what a little paint can do.

I think the hallway is much brighter, and the white also widens up the space.   I also painted the wall below the chair rail white.

It was hard to get a good picture due to the limited space, but I think it shows what a difference the doors painted white makes.

We have been working on the house for sometime, I enjoy it (most of the time), I also like the fact that something as simple as painting the doors white can have such a huge impact.  

Here is a side by side comparison:


Now that it is almost spring, I feel rejuvenated and ready to tackle more projects around the house.  Stay tuned.

No comments: